If you want to live and work in Switzerland, you will need a residence and work permit. Obtaining them can depend on many factors, and in many cases the assistance of an immigration lawyer can be needed.

A clear distinction between non-European Union (EU)/European Free Trade Association (EFTA) and EU/EFTA Nationals is being made by Swiss Immigration Law.

Switzerland is not a member of the EU. However, several agreements which permit Swiss nationals to enjoy many privileges offered by the EU have been put in place; some of which also permit EU/EFTA nationals the opportunity to enjoy a privileged status in Switzerland and facilitate their immigration.

For EU/EFTA nationals, work permits are issued upon presentation of proof of employment (employment contract). Work permits are valid for the whole of Switzerland and entitle the holder to change jobs and occupations. The period of validity of work permits depends on the duration of employment.

For non-EU/EFTA nationals, work and/or residence permit applications are generally subject to quotas. The Swiss immigration process for non-EU/EFTA nationals is therefore more complex and decentralized.

Whether you are looking to work or not, or are already an employee, or want to set up your own business in Switzerland, we can assist you from our office in Basel and provide you with the answers to all your questions concerning your Swiss residency and work permit.